Not everything is invalid, but everything can seem valid

 In a previous post I mentioned that I had a theory that "everything is invalid". Now I realize that statement is not only false, but a misleading way to present the moral of the theory.

Essentially, the theory goes that everything a person can possibly think or say can seemingly be justified with the right words. A part of me thought this invalidated everything that could be said; that even the theory invalidated itself. Now I realize that this is a glaring contradiction.

However, I still think there's something to be drawn from the idea that anything a person can say may seem valid if explained the right way. This leads to the dangerous conclusion that anybody can be taken in by a thought, whether that thought is valid or not, hence the existence of conspiracy theorists like flat earthers.

It's not just pathos either; dots can be connected and drawn in such elaborate ways between ideas that anything could seem logical even if it isn't.

I know that I could do more to explain how this theory works, but I'm afraid I don't have what it takes to make a valid argument for it. However, I would advise that if you were to take away anything from it, then take this: if a person tries to convince you of something, always be willing to open discussion and dig deeper. Even science isn't about telling the truth; it's about reducing the uncertainty of what we know.

There's a fine balance between being open, and being skeptical. If you want to know the truth about anything, there's a fine line to tread between the two. Be open to changing your mind, while at the same time asking questions about everything you come across. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog: what do?

How coming up with fallacies stopped my schizophrenia

AAAAAAAAAAAAUGH... hi